Re: WiFi magnetic shielding? (Was: RFP for OpenEMS)

Hi Kingsley,

Are you trying to create a shield for static magnetic fields, or time variant magnetic fields?

If you want to shield from static magnetic fields, unfortunately the only thing you can use is Mu-Metal (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mu-metal), and it is expensive.

If you just want to shield from alternating magnetic fields, you can use any decent electric conductor (in sheet form) which will induce the eddy currents needed to stop penetration into your shielded environment. In the past I have seen Copper Clad Plywood used to great effect to build shielded rooms. You would have to buy the copper sheet metal and plywood separately and glue them together. The joints need to be sealed with copper tape. The thickness of copper required depends on the frequencies of interest that you are trying to block (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skin_effect).

Cheers,
Silas