Re: MPIR

Hi Doug,

welcome to the team and thanks for working on math packages!

Before this is uploaded we should maybe talk about what it means to have
two libraries which define the same symbols around. I'm not totally sure
about this but this is what I think the problem is:

Let's say we have gmp and mpir in Debian and after a while there is some
library A which links agains mpir. Another library B links against gmp.
Now you want to link another program (say Macaulay2 or Sage) against A
and B, your program is then linked to gmp and mpir which define the same
symbols. This sounds like trouble. The only way to give maintainers the
choice whether to use gmp or mpir is to provide two versions of more and
more libraries.

Do you know anything about how to get around this problem? Would you try
to get mpir versions of all the Macaulay2 dependencies that use gmp/mpir
into Debian?

On the other hand, why can't Macaulay2 use gmp?

Best,
Tobias