Aw: Re: healpix-cxx: stuck in testing due to slow unit tests on mips builder

Hi Leo,

> On May 8, 2014, at 4:18 AM, Steffen Möller <steffen_moeller@gmx.de> wrote:
>
> >> I noticed that healpix-cxx hasn't been able to migrate into testing because of a build failure on mips. It looks like the build timed out during unit tests. See build log:
> >>
> >> https://buildd.debian.org/status/logs.php?arch=mips&pkg=healpix-cxx
> >>
> >> However, I just built it successfully using 'apt-get --build source healpix-cxx' on qemu using aurel32's instructions and images:
> >>
> >> http://people.debian.org/~aurel32/qemu/mips/
> >>
> >> I used the 64-bit mips kernel and a wheezy image that I upgraded to sid. m
> >>
> >> I did have to let the build run overnight inside the emulator overnight on my 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7. Is it possible to request the package to be resubmitted to another mips builder?
> >
> > I am not sure, but could we not just perform a binary upload of that MIPS package? Prepending to be a build demon ourselves? The emulated builds violate some policy, I presume.
>
> I don't know. There are extensive instructions about binNMU uploads (https://wiki.debian.org/binNMU), but this would be different: a binary upload by the maintainer.
>
> The main disadvantage of my own build is that it wasn't done in pbuilder; I just booted the emulator, upgraded to sid, then did 'apt-get build-dep healpix-cxx; apt-get source --build healpix-cxx'.

To me, what you did sounds like fine. Please somehow render a signed binary package available for me somewhere and I will see what happens when I sponsor that. When I oversee things right then we do not do much harm and I learn how to play build daemon.

> Do you know how long it should take for someone to reply to the give-back request? I have not heard back yet, and the rebuild has not been attempted yet:
> https://buildd.debian.org/status/logs.php?pkg=healpix-cxx&arch=mips&suite=sid

No idea.

> > Also, you could decide not to run the unit tests if dpkg-architecture -qDEB_BUILD_ARCH indicates the MIPS architecture. Other ideas?
>
> Well, the only major change from 3.11.2-4 to 3.11.2-5 was that we added the debug package. It's hard to see why that would suddenly make the build and unit tests take days.
>
> It really looks like builder lucatelli is just very slow. If we put in a special case for MIPS, it might succeed only because it lands luckily on a different builder.

Agreed.

Steffen