Re: Sponsor - FLINT

>> Hi all,
>>
>> I would like to support the "Sage in Debian" project by taking
>> over maintainership of the FLINT package. I packaged the current
>> version and uploaded the package to mentors:
>>
>> http://mentors.debian.net/package/flint
>>
>> I would be very grateful, if you could check whether I forgot
>> something, whether it compiles on i386 etc. If the package is
>> ok, would one of you sponsor me with this?
>
> Hi Benjamin.
>
> welcome! your help is fully appreciated.
>
> a packaging repo [1] has been created quite some time ago. there
> has never been a package release, as 2.3.* does not work well
> wihout mpir. two days ago, i updated the repo to flint 2.4.3...
>
> i think git is the right choice to handle packaging efforts.
> please consider joining the debian-science team. this will grant
> you write permissions to the packaging repositories. feel free to
> push to [1].
>
> thanks felix
>
> [1] git://git.debian.org/git/debian-science/packages/flint.git

Hi Felix,

thank you very much for the invitation to the debian-science team. I
would be very glad to get involved. Do I have to subscribe somewhere?

"Application letter":

I am not a Debian developer and so far I only maintain one package
(qpdfview) in the official debian repository, but I have basic
experience with library packaging, because I backported version 0.22.*
of the Poppler library to Ubuntu 12.04 for a PPA
https://code.launchpad.net/~b-eltzner/+archive/qpdfview-exp
even before it was in Debian and in the course learned basic handling
of "symbols" files. (My draft for the FLINT package features a basic
"symbols" file, although there seems to be no upstream soname.)

My first hand programming experience is mostly with Java and Python,
but I can handle simple C and C++ as well as GNU R and Octave (to the
latter I have contributed one function:
http://sourceforge.net/p/octave/image/ci/default/tree/inst/normxcorr2.m ).
I feel comfortable writing simple patches in those languages. My
understanding of the GNU and Debian build tools is basic at best.
Therefore I would probably adopt packages at a rather slow rate.

I would like to learn packaging Java applications (as I am currently
working with Java in a research project and would love to be able to
bring my work into Debian as soon as it is published), which seems to
be more difficult because Java has its own build system (with which I
have no reasonable experience yet). As I am very interested in getting
Sage into Debian, I was thinking of jmol as "training ground":
If there is some place for me in the undertaking of packaging that
program and its dependencies I would like to join the effort (after
the FLINT package is ready, of course).

Best regards,
Benjamin