Re: Alioth /git/debian-science/packages directory

Hi Leopold,

On Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 12:26:36PM +0100, Leopold Palomo-Avellaneda wrote:
> > There is also no such thing like a Robotics Blend - there is rather a
> > robotics task inside Debian Science.
>
> sure, you are right. I have been betrayed by my wishes.

:-)

> > Moreover several libraries which are currently mentioned in the robotics
> > task are also mentioned in other tasks - so where to put these (and
> > again why).
>
> You are right. But I think that we could find some of imaginative solution to
> solve it ;-)

I think it is hard to find a solution to something which is not
perceived as a problem - at least not by the majority here as far as I
can see.

> > However, if you want to follow the Debian Astro route by trying to
> > attract a larger developer team focussing specifically on robotics
> > creating their own robotics tasks covering different fields in the
> > robotics area it might make sense to create a Robotics project on
> > Alioth.  For certain reasons I have explained here in the process
> > of starting Debian Astro I'm in favour of this *if* (and only if)
> > there are good signs that a strong team can be formed to attract a
> > wider Robotics community.
>
> yes, I agree. Under my point of view, the "problem" of the robotics users is
> that they are very "Ubuntized". One of the biggest project ROS provides and
> use Ubuntu and it's full dependant in date, releases, etc.

If you ask from my experience this exactly is no real problem but rather
a quite good precondition to start with a Blend.  Your only task is to
explain the Ubuntu users (or those of some Ubuntu derivative) that they
could rather work upstream (Debian is upstream for Ubuntu) to establish
a sustainable solution.  This worked for BioLinux (an Ubuntu derivative
which remains such one but injects packages into the Debian Med
repository), this was also considered a good idea by the OSGeo Live
people when I mentioned this the first time and we started a common GSoC
project towards this goal.  So people immediately realise their
advantage if they see the option.  You simply need to see Ubuntu as
a chance not as a pure competitor.  If people are helping to make
Debian better this is fine even if their final target might be Ubuntu
or an derivative of it.

> Although there are affords in upstream, it's difficult (because the quantity)
> to provide some kind of quality (under debian rules) packages for that
> project.

I guess that if in Debian some good QA work is done this will be
perceived as a plus in any way.

> Luckily I'm not alone (Jose, Thomas, Jochen..) but there are some pieces of
> code so much complex.

That's good.  I'd recommend to watch the move in Debian Astro closely.

> Well, thanks for you comments.

You are welcome