Help packaging parmetis

Dear Debian science team,

I'm using Debian now for several years and I also have packaged some programs
for myself in a private repository.

Finally i decided to leave my passivity and supporting debian in a more active
way.

I want to help out packaging parmetis as a start.

What I have done so far:

- checkout the svn-repository of parmetis
- imported it into git (I prefer git over svn)
- build the package in a chroot for amd64 and i386
- Added a symbol file for libparmetis4 to get rid of the lintian warning
- There is still one lintian warning about hardening, which I don't know how
to resolve

I have already registered on Alioth. My Alioth account is wlfuetter-guest, and
I have just sent a request to join.

I read most of the documentation given here: https://wiki.debian.org/Packaging
and here: https://wiki.debian.org/DebianScience.

But now I'm a little stuck. How should I proceed further?

And another question:
Is it ok to switch to git for parmetis or should I use svn instead?

Best regards
Wolfgang

P.S. This is my second try. My first mail was greylisted and did not appear yet