Re: Packaging special packages

On Wed, 11 Sep 2013 21:54:36 +0200
debian-devel@liska.ath.cx (Olе Streicher) wrote:

> Typically, binary packages of the pipeline code would have a footstamp
> of  <~ 1MB. However, the pipelines are usually accompanied with a
> calibration data set, whose size ranges from some 100 kB to ~100 MB. The
> calibration files are needed to actually run the pipeline with some
> scientific result. I think it would be in any case too much to put all
> these data onto Debian mirrors, just for the few astronomers out there.

We have the same problem with synchrotron data:
I develop (mainstream) an analysis program and the debian packager
requested me to provide a build-option to ship test-data with the
source package so that binary packages can be validated at build time
in debian's farm (without internet access, usually tests download
test-data from internet).

Cheers,

--
Jérôme Kieffer