Re: Report from Debian Science BoF at DebConf 13

Hi,

On Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 12:30:08PM -0400, Yaroslav Halchenko wrote:
> Lame me missed the whole debconf13 in physical presence and remote
> participation in this BoF.

Shame on you! ;-)

> FWIW it is great to see that discussion was going about the issue of
> citations.
>
> From the wiki:
>
>     Create a dh_science helper
>     All debian/upstream files could be installed inside the binary package at for instance
>         /usr/share/science/<pkg>
>     This could just be done by some dh_science helper automatically and it also could add some trigger which creates an according BibTeX file all time a new package containing a citation is installed.
>
> I would vote for this feature! ;)

s/vote/code/ ??? :-)

> so far I have been adding debian/upstream to
> docs of the my packages pretty much with the hope that some time later they
> could be used exactly for that purpose of collecting bibliographies for
> installed packages... echoing an older somewhat abandoned  attempt where
> we suggested to keep bibliography in copyright files
>
> http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=pkg-exppsy/debian-bibliography.git;a=blob;hb=HEAD;f=tools/dbib_collect

I remember that one and somewhere deep in my mind I had this idea of
some dh_* helper to do exactly this (to lame to search the archive
whether I even expressed this idea).

> I would not call the helper dh_science though since it is not
> science-specific... if bibliographies to come solely from debian/upstream,
> should be dh_upstream I guess ;)

I do not really care much about the name specifically I do not care at
all for names of things that do not exist.  I think the person who
implements it should have a choice.  From my perspective it is not as
high on my todo list to learn writing dh_* things that I do not expect
that somebody else might beat me in this.  (I do not say I'm willing but
if you need the feature soonish do not trust on me.)

This reminds me: There was another proposal about creating lintian
checks specificly for Debian Science and so creating a check for
d/upstream syntax seems to be a perfect candidate for a first check.
David volunteered to *help* writing such tests (not to write it
himself).