Re: Maintainers for Sage related packages needed

Hi Tobias,

thanks for your effort into Sage.

On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 02:16:54AM +0200, Tobias Hansen wrote:
> Hi debian-science,
>
> the efforts of packaging Sage [1,2] are still making good progress. We
> organized a GSoC project inside Sage where Felix Salfelder is adding
> support for building Sage against system libraries right now.

Cool!

> (It was
> only intended to be built against bundled libraries before.) His work in
> progress is available at [3]. In order to make the most of the project,
> it would be good if the Sage dependencies would get into an even better
> shape in Debian, preferably before GSoC is over.
>
> There are still some Sage dependencies which lack a Debian maintainer,
> namely linbox, singular, flint, flintqs, pexpect 2.0, mpir and gf2x.
> Most of them are already packaged in the debian-science git (links are
> on the Wiki page [2]), but nobody has stepped up to maintain them yet.

I'm not sure what you mean by "maintain".  If it is just the sponsering
step to verify the packaging and uploading to the Debian mirror there
might be some solution.  I have no idea how widely known my "Sponsering
of Blends"[4] offer is known but it was intended to help in exactly this
kind of cases.

> Cedric, Julien and myself each maintain some Sage dependencies already
> and I think it would be good to spread the work over some more people to
> assure a sustainable maintenance in the long term. Is there anybody who
> wants to take care of one of these packages?

I have no time to work on developing the packaging stuff but as I said
some spare time cycles for sponsering are perfectly possible under the
conditions mentioned at [4].

[4] https://wiki.debian.org/DebianPureBlends/SoB