Re: roboptim-core_2.0-2_amd64.changes ACCEPTED into unstable

Hi Thomas,

[in case you confirm that you are reading debian-science@lists.debian.org
 I'll stop CCing you as per list policy,]

On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 04:08:58PM +0900, Thomas Moulard wrote:
> yes I would like to help having a better support for Robotics in Debian.

Fine.

> Actually all the packages I have uploaded so far are trying to go
> toward this goal.

Please check whether those packages are mentioned here

  http://blends.alioth.debian.org/science/tasks/robotics

respective here.

  http://blends.alioth.debian.org/science/tasks/robotics-dev

> I know in theory what is a blend but I have to admit I am not very
> acquainted with
> this idea. But I definitively think this is a good idea and I would
> like to help.
> Would you happen to have any pointer about how to make this happen?

The main entry point is the Blends documentation[1].

> BTW I sent this mail to the debtags-devel mailing-list asking for a
> debtag, which
> would be a good start IMHO:
> http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/debtags-devel/2013-April/002211.html

This is for sure a good idea.  To clarify the relation between DebTags
and Blends:  In principle they are both approaching the goal to enable
users finding easily the relevant packages in the huge pool of available
software in Debian.  While DebTags is a nifty technique in itself Blends
try to be more than a way to work inside Debian by forming a team around
a certain topic, creating strong relations between upstream and users
and also developing some techniques (as they are explained in the Blends
documentation[1] - basically metapackages and the web sentinel for the
moment).  We are constantly considering to include DebTags information
into the Blends framework and there is ongoing dicussion about this on
the Blends mainling list.  Hopefully this years GSoC project will bring
some result - so asking for DebTags is in line with the Blends work.

> ...but it seems everyone was focused on the release so it did not get
> any attention.

Either this or it might be also a lack on manpower (which is very sad).

> Any chance you could help me on this one?

I have not yet spended a lot of time into DebTags so I'm not really an
expert into this.  What I just did is to create a new task in the Debian
Science Blend named robotics-dev (and in the second link you visited
above you can see the result of this).  You can read more about these
tasks which are influencing the metapackages as well as the web sentinel
(see above).  Currently this stuff is maintained in SVN[2] but as
announced previously[3] I would like to move this to Git very soon since
now Wheezy is released.

To get commit permissions you need either be a Debian Developer or a
member of the Blends team on Alioth[4].  For the moment it is perfectly
fine if you check those two links to the web sentinel I have given above
and tell me what (binary!) packages you are missing there and I could
easily add them for you.  Please note:  If you are preparing some not
yet uploaded package somewhere in VCS we could perfectly add these as
well as so called "prospective packages" (see [1]).

Hope this helps

          Andreas.

[1] http://blends.alioth.debian.org/blends/
[2] svn://svn.debian.org/blends/projects/science/trunk/debian-science/
[3] https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2012/10/msg00008.html
[4] https://alioth.debian.org/projects/blends/