RFP 702564: graphtea -- software framework to work on graphs

Hi Science Team,

I'm member of the Multimedia Team, so my colleague Ali (here at my
university) approached me how to get his software included in Debian.

I feel it qualifies for field::mathematics, though it has some overlap
with education.

He has no experience in packaging, but I can help a bit, however, I
think team-maintenance is the way to go for the sake of continuity.

I've never worked with java before, I don't know how to properly package
a java application in Debian.

Looks like DH7 can handle the ant-based build process. There are some
jar files in the "source". Is this acceptable? I feel we either need to
depend on other packages (bsh, libjama-java, some unpackaged) or build
the relevant jars while building the application, though this would make
them embedded source copies.

The proper approach is to package all dependencies, right?

The github source contains unnecessary files like an OSX app (binary) or
a Windows bat file. I can make this DFSG clean, also wrt the mentioned
dependencies.

Questions:

   1. Is the Science Team interested in maintaining this package?
   2. Any preference regarding DH vs. cdbs?
   3. Java experts around who know how to handle the dependencies?

Cheers

PS: Ali and me are both subscribed to this list and to the other o