Re: adding a new file using (d)quilt

On Wed, 2012-04-18 at 09:27 -0400, Adam C Powell IV wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-04-12 at 13:06 +0200, Thibaut Paumard wrote:
> > Le 12/04/12 12:50, Gerber van der Graaf a écrit :
> > > Hi, for packaging freefoam-user-doc I intend to include the static file
> > > UsersGuide.pdf.gz as asymptote is currently broken.
> > > (http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=668286)
> > > Also, generating the manual pages for the freefoam package does not work
> > > for the moment as a2x from asccidoc does currently not work properly.
> > > The idea is to include these files statically (for the moment until
> > > mentioned packages have been repaired) using (d)quilt.
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > It's not OK to include a binary file which can't be built automatically.
> > That's called "fails to build from source in a sane way".
> >
> > That said, you can't use a diff file to include a binary file. That's
> > why we now use debian.tar.gz rather than .diff.gz. The right solution is
> > to list your file in debian/source/include-binaries, see man dpkg-source.
>
> Doesn't this make it a non-free package?  I think the right solution is
> to strip the un-buildable binary out of the upstream source and re-make
> the .orig.tar.gz with .dfsg in the version.  And ask upstream to put the
> source in the next version.
The source code of the .pdf is already in the upstream source code in
(asciidoc format). The problem is to convert it to pdf as a2x does not
seem to work correctly anymore. I do not know, yet, if this is due to a
broken package or a script (data/utilities/doxyToX.py.in) needs to be
adapted / repaired. Until recently, it worked all fine. The intention is
to include it as a static package temporally, until the problem has been
solved.
Gerber