Re: Big Data and HSM - Grau OpenArchive

Hi Jan,

On 08/22/2012 09:40 PM, Jan Behrend wrote:
> I am sorry for my ignorance.  For some reason I thought this was a
> German speaking list.
:o)
> So here my translated previous post:
>
> I want to start a discussion about HSM software in science:
I found this
http://www.unylogix.com/data_storage/software/uny/uny_hsm_overview.html
on Hierarchical Storage Migration
and
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hierarchical_storage_management
> As an astronomical institute with one focus on pulsar research
> (http://www.mpifr-bonn.mpg.de/fields_of_research/kramer) we are working
> with "big data" on a daily basis (a few PiBytes).  To be able to manage
> these amounts we have successfully implemented the GRAUDATA Archive
> Manager in August 2011.  There is an open source version of this package
> which lacks but a few features of the commercial package like a GUI and
> WORM functionality.
>
> http://www.openarchive.net/start
> Large quantities of data seem to become more common rather than being
> the exception in science IT future.  But before filing a bug report I'd
> like the opinion of this list about putting this package into the Debian
> repository.  As far as I can tell Debian is lacking an HSM package
> alltogether.  Wrong?
>
> Comments, questions, sugestions?

We want that, certainly. And we want you as you are using that system
already. Would you be prepared to be that package's maintainer? I
somehow understood you so. Do you possibly even have such a package
already? It would then start with the bug report you mentioned, ITP in
Debian lingo, with 'reportbug wnpp' and following the instructions.

Feel free contacting me (or the list) for questions on the packaging
itself. One of the next steps, if not been there already, is to apply
for membership with the debian-science  project on alioth.debian.org.
This grants you write access to the Debian-Science repository so you
find external help by group maintenance easily.

Many greetings

Steffen