Re: Big Data and HSM - Grau OpenArchive

Hello list,

I am sorry for my ignorance.  For some reason I thought this was a
german speaking list.  So here my translated previous post:

I want to start a discussion about HSM software in science:

As an astronomical institute with one focus on pulsar research
(http://www.mpifr-bonn.mpg.de/fields_of_research/kramer) we are working
with "big data" on a daily basis (a few PiBytes).  To be able to manage
these amounts we have successfully implemented the GRAUDATA Archive
Manager in August 2011.  There is an open source version of this package
which lacks but a few features of the commercial package like a GUI and
WORM functionality.

http://www.openarchive.net/start

Large quantities of data seem to become more common rather than being
the exception in science IT future.  But before filing a bug report I'd
like the opinion of this list about putting this package into the Debian
repository.  As far as I can tell Debian is lacking an HSM package
alltogether.  Wrong?

Comments, questions, sugestions?

Cheers Jan

--
MAX-PLANCK-INSTITUT fuer Radioastronomie
Jan Behrend - Rechenzentrum