Re: Sage in debian (WIP) -- 5.2 updates

Le 07/08/2012 09:16, Bernhard R. Link a écrit :
* Julien Puydt<julien.puydt@laposte.net>  [120806 18:25]:
After B.R.L.'s upload, I now have two packages waiting for
sponsorphip (or comments) :
http://mentors.debian.net/packages/uploader/julien.puydt%40laposte.net

Due to the freeze and as those are not new packages but already have a
version in wheezy, those packages would have higher chances getting
sponsored if they targeted experimental instead of unstable currently.

Sigh. I had forgotten about the freeze.

I also recall the situation with fpll quite confusing (something about
still having the same soname but almost none of the old symbols but
old programs perhaps still working with the new version). It would be
nice to have some analysis to be sure that does not cause problems.
And if it is not binary compatible, it might need increasing the soname.

I don't know what happens to old programs, but :
1) nothing in debian depends on that library ;
2) this library is for scientific computations at the research level, and the current version is five years old.

I'm annoyed by the idea of increasing the soname myself -- isn't it upstream's job?

Snark on #debian-science