Re: Sage in debian (WIP)

Hi Felix,

On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 2:26 PM, Felix Salfelder <salfelder@em.cs.uni-frankfurt.de> wrote:
Hi Andrés

On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 10:00:47PM +0200, Andrés Goens wrote:
> debian, which according to your graph is not there yet, but there is some
> work being put into it, if I am not mistaken. Do you know who is working on
> it [..]

theres a git repo containing upstream (as much as i have found) and
debian/ dsc-imported from some older version:
git://tool.em.cs.uni-frankfurt.de/git/flint

(i've reconstructed the 'release' used in sage-4.7...)

if you work on upstream, you probably know if its better to package
flint2. iirc the source repos are disjoint, and i didn't try. in that
case the repo on tool would be obsolete.

I've looked at the git repo, but I'm afraid you are right. Are you guys trying to get sage 4.7 into debian first, or is it just that one because it was the release at the time you did that?
The current sage (5.2) also uses a flint 1.*, but work is being done on sage to upgrade to flint 2.* : http://trac.sagemath.org/sage_trac/ticket/12173
 I really don't know much about flint 1, since flint 2 is a complete rewrite. However, if sage has yet to upgrade to flint 2, it might still be worthwhile packaging the 1.* version in order to package a current sage release, even though in the future we would have to go to flint2.  While I think flint2 would be easier for me to help, if you guys think flint1 is more of a priority at the moment, I would also volunteer to try and help with it.

Regards,

Andrés

regards
felix