Re: GAP: local package installation

Andreas Tille <andreas@an3as.eu> writes:
> On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 09:04:50PM +0200, Jerome BENOIT wrote:
>> Since a while, I am trying to install teh GAP SCSCP package on my
>> Wheezy as local package.  I unpacked the tar ball in
>> /usr/local/share/gap/pkg folder, but I cannot load it from gap: is
>> there any further action to do besides this unpacking.
>
> Any reason to not simply install the package as it is intended to be
> installed via dpkg?

If I've understood the email correctly, Jerome is trying to install the
SCSCP additional package for GAP. As far as I can tell, SCSCP is not
packaged for Debian.

If I'm right, Jerome, you might note that the GAP SCSCP manual
(http://www.gap-system.org/Manuals/pkg/scscp/doc/chap2.html) has the
following to say:

> To install SCSCP package, put its zoo-archive into the pkg
> subdirectory of your GAP4.4 installation and enter the command unzoo
> -x scscp-X.X.X.zoo, then the subdirectory scscp (containing
> subdirectories doc, lib etc.) will be created in the pkg
> subdirectory. Installation using other archive formats is performed in
> a similar way.

As such, I suspect you want to untar it in /usr/share/gap/pkg/, which is
the "pkg subdirectory" for Debian's GAP installations. Note: I haven't
tried this.

Rupert