Re: RE : RE : RE : cctbx debian package

OK switching to Debian Science mailing list!
On Mon, 09. Jul 10:34, PICCA Frédéric-Emmanuel wrote:
> > the default path should be took from the default scons lib install path ?
> > Is there a way to obtain this default patch from scons ? that way it should be possible  to use the right default.
> > the rpath is there to install library into a private directory and let other libraries with this hardcoded rpath found them.
> > do we need to install a few library into a private directory ? can you put the list of theses libraries in the wiki.
> > so I did not forgot about this.
> >
> > Is there a way to tell scons were to install libraries in a non standard location ?
> >
> > PS: autotools gives to libtool libdir as default for rpath
> > PS2: the libdir will use the triplet once we multi-arch cctbx.
>
> > I just set the default in the option parser. I did this because libtool only
> > links to *so.* when the rpath is pointed to the library path. See docs[1]
>
> yes I was just saying that the default rpath should be taken from the upstream build system and
> allow to customize the upstream install directory.
> I understand that upstream put all it's library in the build_dir/lib path.
>
> It seems that their is no install target like autotools did.
> once build, we need to be able to install the generated bin lib etc... into $DESTDIR/$prefix/lib etc...
>
> this is a work in progress. :), so to my:
>
> - let's build the library with libtool
> - add an install target which allow to move all binary libraries at the right place using --prefix.
It's possible to add install targets in scons but upstream is not using any of
those.

> it means also thaht we need to be able to distingish in the upstream build tools if something is a binary or a library.
> Is it possible ?
The easiest is to look on the prefix of the libs. And we always have libtool's
install mode. I already sort the shlibs into a subdir of lib using rpath
(./lib/usr/lib). Here we already have our prefix but it could be done more
elegant.

> I say all this because if the upsteam add a new library, it would be nice to did nothing that rebuild to install all libraries at the right place :)
>
> Let's discuss about this.
> we need to build the python extension using informations availables from the tbx build system to avoid doing to much work for a futur new version of cctbx. So if the setup.py code is generic enought it should be effort less for upstream to not use it :). But it could be a huge gain for us.
>

> I let you contact Baptiste about this.
Baptiste can you tell us your opinion.

> [1] http://www.gnu.org/software/libtool/manual/html_node/Linking-libraries.html

regards