Re: OpenCASCADE re-licensing: a (desperate) call for help

I wonder what it would take to just buy the company and turn it GPLv2
It would make one heck of a kickstarter.

On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 8:16 PM, Ben Finney <ben+debian@benfinney.id.au> wrote:
Francesco Poli <invernomuto@paranoici.org> writes:

> I am personally trying hard to persuade Open CASCADE S.A.S. (the
> company behind Open CASCADE Technology) to re-license Open CASCADE
> Technology under GPLv2-compatible terms, in order to solve this issue
> once and for all.
> I have been pestering Open CASCADE S.A.S. since April 2009...

I'm familiar enough with Francesco to know that his “pestering” is
likely quite polite.

> But I need help from other people.
> *Many* other people.
> As I repeatedly stated in the bug log [6] of #617613 (especially,
> please read at least the original report [10]), other people should
> contact Open CASCADE S.A.S. and try to persuade them to re-license Open
> CASCADE Technology under GPLv2-compatible terms (for instance, under
> the GNU LGPL v2.1).

To be persuasive, these people will need to avoid hectoring or righteous
messages. Persuasion is difficult, and some of you will feel passionate,
but making the recipient of your message defensive will not help.

Cementing an entrenched position, or making the OpenCAD copyright
holders dismissive of people pestering them, will remove options.

Anyone contacting them about this, *please* keep a calm and civil tone.
Remain upbeat and express your support for GPL-compatible terms so that
FreeCAD can be redistributed legally.

--
 \      “[I]t is impossible for anyone to begin to learn that which he |
 `\                thinks he already knows.” —Epictetus, _Discourses_ |