Re: [OT - or may be not] The case for open computer programs

I initially refer to the openness of a scientific program, as Debian
only concerns about software. Though the ideas of open access articles
and open source software are of the same spirit (at least to me).

Developers who contribute to Debian Science already implicitly express
their preference of FOSS for scientific purpose. So there is probably no
need for such a statement / discussion among the Debian Science members.
But the DebianScience wiki pages can (and probably should) be read by
anyone else outside of the Debian Science team.

Writng some lines at a main web page of Debian Science like: 'Why should
it be a good idea to use FOSS software for scientific (and engineering!)
purposes...." Just to advocate the usage of the FOSS software towards
anybody working in any scientific / engineering field and using
software. Apart from pure theoretical scientists, who is not using
computers and software these days? A bit of publicity for all the work
done here is good.

Gerber