Re: Debconf10: Batch Queuing Systems BoF -- revisited

Hi,

On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 09:49:11AM +0200, Michael Hanke wrote:
> Unfortunately, I can't attend Debconf this year, but maybe there are
> enough people interested in the topic to have a follow-up BoF to revisit
> the issue.

I won't be there, either.

Note that the Grenoble workshop draft agenda has an item about batch
queueing systems.  I might see if I can make it there, if it makes
sense.

> What is the status of similar software in Debian (GridEngine, Slurm,
> ...)?

Mark Hymers recently said that he will not have time to maintain
Gridengine anymore.  AIUI, Gridengine has been abondoned as a FLOSS
project by Oracle after the Sun acquisition, but there is a community
fork, http://gridscheduler.sourceforge.net

I will see whether I get/have time to keep maintaining
gridengine/gridscheduler.

I don't know about Slurm, AIUI it is rather mature both upstream and in
Debian, but I never used it (the Leibniz Rechenzentrum is migrating from
Gridengine to Slurm at the moment, though, so I might get to use it soon
:) )

Finally, we now have Torque in Debian,
http://packages.qa.debian.org/t/torque.html

Torque is a PBS/OpenPBS fork, quite mature upstream (and used by lots of
research groups I know), but I am not certain on the Debian status.

So having Condor certainly makes sense, but I think we have several
mature (from a upstream POV) batch queueing systems in Debian now, but
might lack maintenance personell.

Michael