Debconf10: Batch Queuing Systems BoF -- revisited

Hi,

some of you might still remember the Batch Queuing Systems BoF at
Debconf10, where we briefly discussed the past/present/future of this
software in Debian. We talked about the lack of maintainers, and possible
strategies to consolidate our efforts.

During this meeting I've learned about Condor [0], and my personal conclusion
was that it could be the one solution covering most variety of use cases
we could think of at this point. Unfortunately, it wasn't available in
Debian at all, and upstream had only recently moved to a proper FOSS
licensing scheme.

In the meantime, however, things have improved a lot. Red Hat is
investing into the project (its Grid-computing infrastructure is based
on it [1]). I have attended their project conference "CondorWeek" in
2011 and gave a talk proposing a collaboration to integrate Condor into
Debian [2] -- which was well perceived.  And as of very very recently we
have an official package in Debian unstable [3]. Upstream has promised
long-term commitment to help Debian ship a high-quality package. The
experience of the past year has shown that problems, once reported, are
addressed quickly by upstream, making the current official package ship
with almost no necessary patches.

Right now the Condor package only builds a fraction of the built-in
functionality (although what is built is already quite comprehensive for
the task of a batch queuing system). I'm working on enabling build-time
testing and the kFreeBSD port needs some love. But overall it looks like
we are going to have Debian wheezy ship Condor.

Unfortunately, I can't attend Debconf this year, but maybe there are
enough people interested in the topic to have a follow-up BoF to revisit
the issue.

What is the status of similar software in Debian (GridEngine, Slurm,
...)?

Michael

[0] http://research.cs.wisc.edu/condor/
[1] http://redhat.com/products/mrg/grid/