Re: Communication on Debian Science Was: (Re: New Debian Science metapackages (Was: debian-science_0.16_amd64.changes ACCEPTED into unstable))

Hi,

On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 10:01:03PM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:
> You might have noticed my mails about debian/upstream files about adding
> publication information to the tasks pages.  I'd regard this as one PR
> item and I would like to add more debian/upstream files step by step.
> Debian Med Biology task is quite good covered and once I'm trough all
> remaining issues I will make some more noise about it.  IMHO showing
> scientists that we care about their publications might be some big plus
> for Debian (and in turn Google might find our pages better ;-)).

I certainly think this is a great goal, but I have some reservations
about the process.  You are using debian/upstream, which in no way is in
some science-related namespace and appears to be for general-purpose
upstream metadata.  Therefore, I think before wide adoption, this should
be discussed on debian-devel and/or be a DEP.

Presenting this as a fait accompli to -devel after x packages have been
converted might result in some irritation or confusion.

Possibly I have just missed that conversation though, so excuse me in
that case.

Cheers,

Michael