Re: BibTeX file from debian/upstream data (Was: New Debian Science metapackages)

Le Sat, Apr 21, 2012 at 08:55:53PM -0400, Yaroslav Halchenko a écrit :

> as for author's field, I guess there is no other (reliable) way but to
> simply follow Bibtex format in debian/upstream, and use 'and' as a
> separator?

Hi,

I did not have time to go through all the thread, but I would like to comment
on that point.

Much of the references I entered in the debian/upstream files are pasted from
the publisher's site (after removing the abstract, that is copyrighted work).
I see a lot of heterogeneity there.  We can require or recommend that
maintainers normalise the syntax of the Authors field, but we need to consider
that it is an extra work and an extra failing point.  Or an extra target for a
yet-to-write extension to Lintian.

Is there an international standard, or a standard recognised by popular
parsers, which would be easy to justify ?

There are similar issues for other fields, for instance, some original BibTeX
entries used the LaTeX representation of the en dash (--), which I converted to
the proper Unicode character (–), which was later replaced by the ASCII dash
(-) for the sake of normalisation (which is good).

Cheers,

--
Charles Plessy
Debian Med packaging team,