Is there any point in loading SVN with outdated upstream source?

Hi,

I stumbled upon

    svn+ssh://svn.debian.org/svn/debian-science/packages/arpack/branches/upstream

which is featuring 75MByte of code which is definitely not Debian
packaging related.  This code is probably wasting useless space on
several harddiscs of developers who have a complete checkout of Debian
Science SVN.  I would love if we could agree to not keep this code
inside SVN.  If there is really a need to keep upstream code the
packaging of this software should probably be moved to Git where it
is policy to keep upstream code anyway.

I guess arpack is just an example and I would love if others would
check their packages whether some cleanup would be possible.