Re: RFS: diet -- new upstream release

Le 11/01/2012 17:15, Sylvestre Ledru a écrit :

> Usually, what we try to do (both from the upstream or packager
> perspective) is to keep a consistent way to manage API for libraries.
> For example, you could consider to rename the package libdiet-sed2.8 to
> libdiet-sed0
> and only change the number when a change in the API/ABI occurs.
>
> However, if you believe that libdiet-sed2.8, libdiet-client2.8,
> libdiet-dagda2.8 or libdiet-admin2.8 won't ever be used by other
> applications than diet, don't bother.
>
> For more information:
> http://www.netfort.gr.jp/~dancer/column/libpkg-guide/libpkg-guide.html
> http://apr.apache.org/versioning.html
>
> Sylvestre

Until the upcoming major version of DIET, there's no ABI enforcement
policy (only API is guaranteed to be stable). After DIET 3.0, we will
enforce ABI compatibility (the public API will more or less be the same,
but without the accumulated crufts).
There will be probably only minor releases between DIET 2.8 and DIET 3.0
(release scheduled for Q2), so i'm not sure that it's worth the hassle.

H.

--
Haïkel Guémar
Software Engineer - SysFera