Re: RFS: diet -- new upstream release

Le mercredi 11 janvier 2012 à 17:09 +0100, Haïkel Guémar a écrit :
> Le 11/01/2012 16:48, Sylvestre Ledru a écrit :
> >
> > I will sponsor it.
> Thank you,
> > I just push some very minor changes but I am happy with the whole packaging.
> I'm still learning debian packaging, so i would gladly receive your
> pieces of advices.
> > Usually, we try to avoid that specific versions in the package name.
> > Is it really necessary ?
> > (it will be a pain if we have to rename the lib at each new version).
> >
> > Sylvestre
> >

> What do you suggest for that ?
Usually, what we try to do (both from the upstream or packager
perspective) is to keep a consistent way to manage API for libraries.
For example, you could consider to rename the package libdiet-sed2.8 to
libdiet-sed0
and only change the number when a change in the API/ABI occurs.

However, if you believe that libdiet-sed2.8, libdiet-client2.8,
libdiet-dagda2.8 or libdiet-admin2.8 won't ever be used by other
applications than diet, don't bother.

For more information:
http://www.netfort.gr.jp/~dancer/column/libpkg-guide/libpkg-guide.html
http://apr.apache.org/versioning.html