Re: libntl (was Re: Debian singular packages team)

On Sat, Aug 6, 2011 at 10:10 PM, Bernhard R. Link <brlink@debian.org> wrote:
> * Lifeng Sun <lifongsun@gmail.com> [110806 16:33]:
>> On 16:06 Sat 08/06/11 Aug     , Andrés Goens wrote:
>> > I was actually thinking of getting involved with singular by myself,
>> > especially after I realized I could use it for my thesis. I would
>> > volunteer for helping with it, although I would need a sponsor for
>> > that (I'm not DM or DD).
>>
>> FYI: singular depends on ntl, which is another outdated package
>> maintained by Tim Abbott, I think you need take care of it first.
>
> As libntl (at least the Debian version) has a dynamic version added
> manually (though the patch looks a bit like it comes from SAGE) and
> has a very specific soname (including all three digits of the version),
> and some reverse dependencies (not yet even looked at the reverse
> build dependencies) it might make sense to start with a new source package
> for newer versions of libntl with it's own -dev package name and
> gradually use the new one until the old is no longer needed.

I'm not sure I understand exactly what you mean. This new package
would not include said patch, and just give the static upstream
libraries?
I would actually like to try and do this, but I have never really
packaged anything for debian. I would try to do it following the new
maintainers guide. Is this a bad idea? Is it maybe too complicated
this special case? If not, would someone be willing to look at it and
help me out with it?

Looking at the installation doc provided by upstream there is also
option to compile it for working with some other libraries:  gmp and
gf2x, which optimize it for special tasks. Should it be compiled with
these by default, and make it depend on them, or what is the usual
proceding? (Sorry if I am asking something obvious, I didn't know how
to look for it).

Cheers,

Andrés