Re: RFS: RSL - Radar Software Library

On 07/26/2011 06:42 PM, Andy Spencer wrote:
> On 2011-07-26 11:43, Julian Taylor wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I can't sponsor your package but I have a comment:
>> This copyright notice looks non-free:
>>
>> edge_to_radar.c:
>> ** COPYRIGHT NOTICE
>> **
>> **	Copyright (c) 1997 by Enterprise Electronics Corporation
>> **	All Rights Reserved
>> **
>> ** This program is  copyright  by  Enterprise  Electronics  Corpora-
>> ** tion,    Enterprise,  Alabama,  USA  36330 (334) 347-3478.  It is
>> ** licensed for  use  on  a  specific  CPU   and   is  not    to  be
>> ** transferred  or otherwise divulged.   Copies  or modifications of
>> ** this program must carry this copyright notice.
>>
>> I don't think it can be distributed with this file in the source.
>
> Thanks, I hadn't noticed that before, I'll mention it to the RSL
> maintainer and see if they can still contact the authors of that file.
>
> If not, can I just patch that file out since that functionality is not
> needed for AWeather?

If the library remains useful without this file you can repackage the original source.
But it should first be checked if the situation can be avoided with upstream.
You can find some guidelines here:
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/developers-reference/best-pkging-practices.html#bpp-origtargz

Some more comments on the package:
It does not build in a clean chroot, it is missing a lexer build dependency, e.g. flex should do:

libtool: link: gcc -g -O2 -Wl,-Bsymbolic-functions -o any_to_gif any_to_gif.o  -L/usr/lib ../.libs/librsl.a /usr/lib/libmfhdf.so /usr/lib/libdf.so /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libjpeg.so -lz -lm
../.libs/librsl.a(rapic.o): In function `rapicwrap':
/rsl/rapic.y:622: undefined reference to `yywrap'

please fix this lintian error:
E: librsl-dev: non-empty-dependency_libs-in-la-file usr/lib/librsl.la
You can probably just remove the la file
see http://wiki.debian.org/ReleaseGoals/LAFileRemoval

debian/rules:
 dh --with autoreconf $@
should be
 dh $@ --with autoreconf

some of the changes debian/patches/rsl-automake.patch seem suspicious
if they have a reason please document it using dep3 guidelines
http://dep.debian.net/deps/dep3/
e.g.
-#define COLORDIR "/usr/local/trmm/GVBOX/lib/colors"
+#define COLORDIR DATADIR "/colors"
or
-#define WSR88D_SITE_INFO_FILE "/usr/local/trmm/GVBOX/lib/wsr88d_locations.dat"
+#define WSR88D_SITE_INFO_FILE DATADIR "/wsr88d_locations.dat"

also the reindenting of the color macros is unnecessary in a patch.

Also please consider making the library multiarch compatible
and maybe run wrap-and-sort, see my comments on libgrits