Re: Geant4 package

On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 9:34 AM, Yngve Inntjore Levinsen
<yngve.inntjore.levinsen@cern.ch> wrote:
> Dear Debianizers,
>
> I uploaded the Geant4 package to git now, and are wondering if there are
> anyone willing to help me fix it/improve it. Currently I have managed to
> build a previous version 4.9.3.p02. The recent version, 4.9.4.p01 however,
> have not been built successfully. A couple of comments:
>
> - The packaging depended on CERNLIB before, but since Geant4 itself should
> not depend on CERNLIB anymore (?), I tried to remove the dependency
> (potentially not very successfully)

Could you give me the list of symbols used from cernlib ? We could
therefore depend only on a subclass of cernlib

> - The package depends on CLHEP, which has a redistribution license problem.
> We have been allowed to redistribute it on our unofficial CERN Debian
> server, where you can find the package: http://cern.ch/lcg-heppkg/debian/

according http://proj-clhep.web.cern.ch/proj-clhep/ and
https://savannah.cern.ch/projects/clhep/
it is now GPL 2 (just see later)

> - I tried to build the new version against the most recent version of CLHEP,
> 2.1.0.1. To get that version, contact me or do "apt-get source clhep2",
> update the source ( http://proj-clhep.web.cern.ch/proj-clhep/#download ) and
> build the package yourself.
>
> - The Geant4 package was very well constructed from the original packager,
> Kevin B. McCarty. I might have broken some stuff, and misunderstood some
> parts. E.g. the soversion in debian/rules have been a bit of a mystery to
> me. Please fix/improve anything you see that I have done wrong.
>
> - I am in the final 6 months of my PhD at the moment, so I have very little
> time working on this (sadly). I know though that there are quite a few
> people using this package, so if we could be able to release the new version
> it would be appreciated. As soon as the package builds fine I will
> immediately build and release the 64bit versions on our server, and see if I
> can get someone to build the 32bit versions as well.

Ok fine. I understand what you will not joinable a lot. Do you plan to
change of mail adress after your phd ?

> - New Geant4 patch was released last week ( http://geant4.cern.ch/ ), that
> should ideally be incorporated as well.

What is the version control used by geant4 upstream ?

Bastien