Re: Code aster changelog

Il giorno mer, 08/06/2011 alle 14.38 +0100, Stuart Prescott ha scritto:
> > To summarize, ATM there are issues (still uninvestigated) when building
> > with 2.7, so we agreed to make it build only against 2.6 to have a working
> > package forn now, and work to fix this issue later. Maybe a line like
> > "builds only against python2.6 due to unresolved issues with python2.7" is
> > better?
>
> python 2.6 will be removed from unstable  "as soon as we can after 2.7 is
> default" (in the words of one of the python maintainers). This is likely to be
> done on the "few weeks" timescale rather than "few months" (although these
> sorts of python transitions do have a habit of taking a bit longer than
> everyone plans). Adding another thing that requires python 2.6 won't help this
> process; it might not necessarily hinder it either, but then you'd get an RC-
> buggy package straight away.
>
> Perhaps spending the time to work out what's wrong with the package under
> python 2.7 prior to upload would be better. The guys in #debian-python on
> irc.oftc.net (irc.debian.org) don't bite :)

Hi,

I understand your objection; however I would rather have now the
package, mainly because code aster has its own build system, and it may
be not trivial to find out the issue; and I'd prefer to have a buggy
package rather than noting, as it is now.
Moreover, the RFP/ITP has started in january 2008, now it's june 2011
and we're still here... I think that it would be better to finalize the
effort now that we're very close and then enhance the package, rather
than postpone the upload to fix all the problems.

This however is just my VH opinion, I'll follow the directions of people
that knows the debian packaging process much more than me.

Bye
Andrea