Re: updating mpi-defaults (decommissioning lam)

On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 12:20:23PM -0400, Adam C Powell IV wrote:
> FWIW, my "vote" would be to go ahead and replace LAM with MPICH2 on the
> non-OpenMPI arches now, and remove LAM and MPICH1 from the archive.  Or
> if we decide MPICH2 is better than OpenMPI, default to that everywhere.
> Either way, let's get rid of LAM and MPICH1, and switch mpi-defaults,
> sooner rather than later.

This seems reasonable and we should go that route. The proposed plan (as
I understand it) would be:

 LAM removal:
 - Update mpi-defaults to use MPICH2 (in progress). binNMU all packages
   and remove LAM from the archive.

 Open MPI arch support:
 - Update openmpi to build on all arches. (Progressing, but slowly.)
 - Once we have full arch support, decide what to do with mpi-defaults.

So these are basically two orthogonal changes, and the new mpi-defaults
helps the LAM removal. I will upload a fixed mpi-defaults soon so that
the LAM removal can take place ASAP. I'm sorry for the inconvenience that
was caused by my quasi-MIA! Though times…

Best regards,
Manuel