Re: Help needed getting started

On 04/04/2011 05:43 PM, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 04, 2011 at 05:34:09PM +0200, Michael Wild wrote:
>>
>> Sorry for the noise, just found the problems myself...
>
> :-)
>
>> 1. The password for the web-interface also works for the SSH login
>> (somehow I assumed only key-based authentication would work, don't know why)
>> 2. Contrary what the docs say in the SSH-key dialog at
>> http://alioth.debian.org, only RSA keys are accepted, and you only find
>> out when you look at the error message that gets generated in
>> ~/.ssh/authorized_keys... Perhaps it would be nice adding that to
>> mentioned Wiki page?
>
> You can perfectly do this - it's a Wiki (if you do this you probably
> will do Alioth admins a faour because of saving their time to care for
> the page).
>
>> I have another question though: The team-policy says I should update the
>> appropriate meta-packages. However, in the case of ViennaCL it is not
>> quite clear which meta-packages would directly benefit from it. It could
>> be used in mathematics, physics, robotics, astronomy, chemistry, you
>> name it, but it wouldn't be an application or even a topic-specific
>> library, it is rather a library on which you could base such
>> applications or libraries.
>
> The sense of those metapackages is to support all fields which can make
> some reasonable use from the package in question.  So if I understand
> you correctly *all* packages would need such an entry because we do not
> want to hide this packages say for instance from astronomers because the
> package is simply "hidden" in for instance robotics.  So the tasks are
> not intending an exclusive categorisation but rather reflect what is
> useful when doing a certain task.
>
> I'd be happy to "proxy" the edit of the tasks files for you in case you
> are not sure.  Just tell me what name the binary packages might get.
>
> Kind regards
>
>        Andreas.

Ok, I think I understand the task files a bit better now. Since ViennaCL
is a pure compile-time dependency IMHO it should go into most *-dev
tasks, right? What has me confused though, is that libraries like blas
or lapack, which have a similar purpose as ViennaCL, and are widely used
in scientific applications, only show up in very few tasks
(nanoscale-physics{,-dev}, meteorology-dev and mathematics-dev).

Michael