Re: How to properly integrate cran2deb into Debian?

On 18 February 2011 at 13:10, Manuel Prinz wrote:
| On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 11:08:20AM +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:
| > probably not the right list, debian-science list comes rather to mind
| > because Dirk Eddelbuettel (in CC) is also reading there.  So please move
| > to this list in case you want to continue discussing this issue.
|
| Done. Totally forgot to CC Dirk, thanks for noticing!

I just wanted to state that I have never in the past nor in the present
suggested to use cran2deb to insert a large number of packages---currently
2800 at CRAN and growing at a 40% yearly growth rate---into Debian.

If memory serves, the NEW Queue maintainer just complained about 300 packages
waiting and too few people helping.  I think there is a __a lot__ of work
involved in getting the archive, builder, bug system, ... going.  Adding
2800+ packages which are, for a very large part, pretty fringe, is not going
to be a smart idea.

Additional cran2deb resources would be good. It has been leaning on Charles
alone for too.  I think I speak for Charles when I say that our vision always
was to get cran2deb "up and running" as a "test repository" and gather
experience running it.  One could then analyses popular packages (or clusters
thereof) and insert those, provided some maintainer (or groups) stand behind
them.  Talking to ftp maintainer as Manuel suggested is definitely a good
idea too, or even imperative.

I won't have much to add to the discussion so please feel free to drop the CCs.

Good luck,  Dirk

--
Dirk Eddelbuettel | edd@debian.org | http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com