Re: FWD: delegation for the summer of code admins

On Tue, Feb 08, 2011 at 09:20:43PM +0100, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 08, 2011 at 08:04:33PM +0100, Michael Banck wrote:
> > > A third issue which comes to mind is the request to use *defined*
> > > versions of programms and not just a version which is by chance packaged
> > > in any Debian release, for instance by using packages from
> > > snapshots.debian.org.
> >
> > Can you elaborate on this?  I am not sure what you mean here.  It
> > doesn't sound like it would take somebody 3+ months of full-time work to
> > do this in any case, though.
>
> At Sanger Institute[1] which is one of the largest biological institutes
> world wide are 3 (in words three) Debian developers working which might
> be perhaps the largest DD density in institutes which do not have
> software development in their main focus.  At DebConf in Edinbourgh I
> learned to know them and was talking to them about Debian Med and its
> possible application in Sanger.  The answer was that this is unwanted
> for the scientists at Sanger which have the request to pin their system
> on very specific software release combinations because only these are
> guaranteed to reproduce exactly the same data they need to reproduce.

Easy: get the testing framework idea done and point them towards it for
validation ;)

Anyway, I think this is indeed difficult to scope for GSoC: if you find
a solution, implementation is probably not that difficult, but letting a
student shoot in the dark looks indeed unfair.

Michael