Re: atlas, lapack, blas

On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 09:04:17AM +0900, Ryo IGARASHI wrote:
> All optimized packages are dropped since 3.8.3-25.
> See the following changelog entry.
> http://packages.qa.debian.org/a/atlas/news/20100829T214716Z.html
>
> This issue has been discussed in debian-devel ML and the 3.8.3-25 follows.
> the conclusion. See the following thread:
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2010/08/msg00487.html

OK, thanks for that (and thanks to Aaron Ucko for sending me similar
info in private mail).

now that i've read about it, it makes perfect sense to me and seems to
be a good way to handle the binary optimisation issue.

i'll know what to do when it's time to upgrade atlas etc on the cluser -
and i'll end up with libs optimised for the exact CPU & cache size for
the macine in my cluster (all identical, so i only need to compile a
.deb pkg on one machine and share it with the others)

one final thought: it's a shame that it's difficult to see the
changelogs etc mentioning all this until AFTER you install the new
version. perhaps the package Description field should include a URL
pointing to the README.Debian or to a page summarising the issue and the
solution, maybe on the debian wiki.

e.g.

 The libraries in this package are built without any processor extension
 instructions, and should run on all processors of this general
 architecture, albeit less than optimally. For details on how to
 build optimised libraries for your CPU, see http://wiki.debian.org/AtlasOptimisation

craig

--
craig sanders <cas@taz.net.au>