Re: atlas, lapack, blas

[Addressing you directly because I'm not sure you're subscribed;
apologies in advance for any resulting duplication.]

> are these packages coming back in a future version, or does the
> libatlas3gf-base package now include libs optimised for opteron?

AIUI, the CPU-type-specific packages proved more trouble than they were
worth; although there may be some benefit to be had from accounting for
processor type, especially on architectures such as i386 with wide
ranges, there are other parameters for which ATLAS should ideally be
tuned, including the number of available cores per system and the sizes
of various CPU caches.  (In particular, please note that even the
baseline AMD64 instruction set features SSE2 instructions.)

Instead, ATLAS ships a README.Debian documenting how to build packages
optimized for your exact hardware:

http://svn.debian.org/viewsvn/debian-science/packages/atlas/trunk/debian/README.Debian?revision=36882&view=markup

This is a semi-manual process for the time being, but Sylvestre has
mentioned plans to supply a binary package containing sources to be
built automatically upon installation or perhaps invocation of some
script.  (At any rate, given your experience, I expect you should have
no trouble following README.Debian's directions.)

http://www.mit.edu/~amu/ | http://stuff.mit.edu/cgi/finger/?amu@monk.mit.edu