Re: neural nets contribution

Hi Pierre-Yves,

On 07/20/2010 09:03 PM, Pierre-Yves L'Epérance wrote:
> My name is Pierre-Yves. I would like to contribute to Debian science.
> I'm specialized in neural nets, machine learning and pattern recognition.
> I'm also into stochastic processes, especially diffusion. I can easily
> program in MATLAB, can work on C++ and Java... but it's been a wile.

There are many ways you could contribute. One way of course would be to
 package new software for Debian (be sure to read the New Maintainer's
Guide first), but I would recommend that you contribute to existing
projects first - for example by squashing bugs in existing packages you
like, answering an RFH or adopting another package (see below).

For an overview on how to contribute, you should probably read the FAQ:
http://wiki.debian.org/HelpDebian/FAQ

and of course the New Maintainer's Guide
http://www.debian.org/doc/maint-guide/

and the Debian Developer's Reference:
http://www.debian.org/doc/developers-reference/

> So if anybody knows of a project in those fiels to which i could
> contribute anyhow, let me know.

Two projects that might interest you are currently up for adoption:
VIGRA: http://bugs.debian.org/587063 (mainly C++)
pyke: http://bugs.debian.org/590777 (Python)

And there is the list of Work-Needing and Prospective Packages:
http://www.debian.org/devel/wnpp/

Again, I'd recommend you contribute to an existing project first. This
will allow you to gain valuable experience.

Regards,
Christian