Re: Integrating Machine Learning Software and Datasets withing debian

On 06/12/2010 08:31 PM, Soeren Sonnenburg wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-06-12 at 14:34 +0200, Christian Kastner wrote:
>> On Thu, 10 Jun 2010, Yaroslav Halchenko wrote:
>>> In addition, having heard Andrea Tille's talk about debian blends
>>>  http://blends.alioth.debian.org/science/tasks/machine-learning
>>> I wonder if we could have pointers from mloss.org to the respective
>>> debian packages/wnpp's etc.
>>>
>>> In the long term, it would have been great if such inter-referencing
>>> between software portals, Debian blens, and Debian could become more
>>> pronounced at debian.org proper (e.g. packages listing etc).
>> Those ideas sound great!
>
> I guess we first need more ML packages - then this interaction makes
> sense.
>
> I would suggest to start packaging some simple but widely used things
> first, like:
>
> MPIKmeans
> liblinear and/or libocas

I've filed an ITP for both liblinear (#575788) and libocas (#575789).

The initial packaging is done, but the build process -- properly
building shared libraries -- still needs some heavy tweaking before
being presentable.

Christian