Re: new task: machine-learning?

On Mon, 2010-06-07 at 23:13 -0400, Yaroslav Halchenko wrote:
> Dear Colleagues,

Hi Yaroslav,

> Despite my hesitation with what name to choose (I would like it to be
> "Statistical Learning", but that would have excluded some other
> "learning" strategies I guess), I've decided to initiate "Machine
> Learning" task within science blend.
>
> I wanted to check with you first, either it looks reasonable/desired
> before I commit it.  Please find a tentative task file attached.

where do you draw the line that something is machine learning? I mean
many ML people use matlab (or its free variant octave) or python-numpy,
optimization packages (glpk) etc?

Soeren
--
For the one fact about the future of which we can be certain is that it
will be utterly fantastic. -- Arthur C. Clarke, 1962