Re: new task: machine-learning?

On Mon, Jun 07, 2010 at 11:13:03PM -0400, Yaroslav Halchenko wrote:
> Despite my hesitation with what name to choose (I would like it to be
> "Statistical Learning", but that would have excluded some other
> "learning" strategies I guess), I've decided to initiate "Machine
> Learning" task within science blend.

I had to learn that finding a proper name is always a hard task and
there is no optimal choice for a name.  We should probably compensate
this by finding an optimal decription and accept a reasonable name.
IMHO your choice is fine.

> I wanted to check with you first, either it looks reasonable/desired
> before I commit it.  Please find a tentative task file attached.

I consider an additional task useful if it has potential users or has
the potential to attract additional users.  I think this criterion is
met and so I'd say go for it.  We should probably release a new version
of Debian Science metapackages soonish to make sure the change in the
set of binary packages will be processed by ftpmaster before the freeze.