Re: NARVAL & ENX : two potential new packages

On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 11:24:05AM +0100, Steffen Möller wrote:
> > On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 01:28:30PM +0100, Xavier Grave wrote:
> >> My idea to have NARVAL related to debian-science was to ease promote Debian
> >> in science area where for the moment we have Scientific Linux.
>
> SL has the backing of some large (!) and prominent (!) research
> institutions worldwide. One cannot exclude the possibility for them to
> move from Fedora towards Debian, but one should not expect that in any
> way. And it is IMHO not the right motivation to work on Debian packages
> in the first place.

My intention is not to nag these people about replacing their system by
Debian.  My intention is to make Debian Science attractiv enough that
they WANT to use Debian because of Debian Science.  So the only thing
what *I* expect is to become better and better in science support and
if we succeed people might move (or not).

> I very much encourage NARVAL and ENX for Debian because of the knowledge
> transfer that is intrinsic to it. Many smaller groups, say in molecular
> biology labs, will have similar problems, if on a smaller scale, and to
> then have a more hardware oriented stack available is helpful. So,
> please grant Frederic-Emmanuel the commit rights to the
> repository and then let's find a sponsor/mentor for his work.

This should be no problem at all (I guess, I'm no admin).

> We have a few SL users as Debian-Maintainers and as applicants, hoping
> to soon count Frédéric-Emmanuel to it. Many SL users like and use
> Debian. So, we don't need too much of promotional activity,

No, as I said above.  The best promotion is just having the stuff people
need included ready to install, bug free and up to date.