Re: How is mpi-default-dev supposed to work?

Hi,

Le 23 mars 10 à 19:01, Manuel Prinz a écrit :

To comment on the discussions you had: The problem Thibaut mentions only
exists on the platforms where both implementations exist and mpich2 is
installed later into a buildd chroot.

Actually, I was wrong about that: from toying around with the two packages, it seems update-alternatives falls back to lexicological order when the priorities are the same, so mpich2 always has precedence over openmpi.

Mpich2 also has a priority higher than LAM, which is buggy as long as the default is LAM when OpenMPI is not available, but the plan is to make MPICH2 the default in that case anyway.

The easiest (and cleanest) solution seems to be to add mpicc.default and friends (or whatever we call it) to mpi-defaults-dev, being symlinks to
the default mpicc on that platform. Those can be used by the packages
using only mpi-defaults-dev. The only downside I see right now it the
fact that we should fix all packages not using it also which has a
negative effect on the whole transition. On the other hand, we do not
need to; it won't break anything if the assumptions made are valid. (But
as said, we can't really rely to it.)

And as I stated earlier, you can install mpicc.default as an alternative for mpicc with a high priority. So mpicc wil really point to the right implementation unless the admin has chosen otherwise, which buildd admins should not do.

I could also increase the update-alternatives priority of Open MPI to
something higher than MPICH2. This should have no negative side effects but does of course not fix the current problem. What do you think about
that? (Planning to upload some minor fixes to Open MPI anyway.)

I think it is an easy solution that indeed mostly solves the problem for the time being, with no foreseeable nasty side effects.

Regards, Thibaut.