Re: How is mpi-default-dev supposed to work?

Hi,

Le 23 mars 10 à 12:03, Lucas Nussbaum a écrit :

Most buildds have been migrated to using schroot with LVM snapshots, so
it is no longer an issue on those buildds.

I didn't realize that.

- my preferred solution: mpi-defaut-dev could provide links like
mpicc.mpi-defaults that would be the commands actually used when
building. They could also be installed as alternatives with a very
high priority, but I think it is safer to directly use the fully
qualified name "mpicc.mpi-default".

[...]
Sure, but we don't want a solution that only fixes the problem for
packages that are modified. This effectively requires transitioning all
packages to fix the problem everywhere.

The option in which mpicc.mpi-default is an alternative for mpicc with a high priority does fix the problem for existing packages in clean- enough environments (i.e. as long as the alternative has not been set manually).

[...]
Yes, it's probably better to just conflict in mpi-defaults with the
other providers of mpicc.

Which unfortunately forbids to both build with the default implementation and with each available implementation. Agreed, this is not recommended anyway. Just wondering if any package does this already.

Note that help is usually welcomed. It might be better to invest time to
solve that problem with a distribution-wide solution, rather than just
for your own package.

Which is why I am here discussing with you :-) I would be happy to prepare a patch once the best solution is agreed.

Best regards, Thibaut.