Re: Debian Science taking over cimg-dev?

Am Samstag, den 10.10.2009, 13:44 +0200 schrieb Andreas Tille:
> On Sat, Oct 10, 2009 at 03:06:55AM +0200, Daniel Leidert wrote:
> > > After waiting now for more than 4 monthes of a reaction of the maintainers
> > > I really lose my nerve and think the time for taking over the package is
> > > right.
> >
> > So you had "more than 4 months" to send me a reminder or to upload an
> > NMU.
>
> I'm sorry, I did not intended to NMU and I never told this.

No, we all now that you prefer hijacks into debian-science over NMUs,
the common and correct behaviour (even to increase pressure on the
maintainer(s) of a package).

> I waitet
> for confirmation to take over the package, which IMHO should give the
> maintainers some time to react.

We have NMU queues for this type of situation. It would show a much
better light on your intentions, if you would use them instead to try to
grab more and more packages into your hands. I wonder if you really have
the necessary time to handle them.

> > > And yes - it really hurds me if a package which is relevant for projects
> > > I'm working on are unmaintained.
> >
> > So you did not create the NMU although you could have done that for
> > "more than 4 months" now. Ah ... nope, I don't understand that.
>
> I have no idea what you want to tell me.  You prepared an NMU in SVN

JFTR: I don't have upload rights for cimg. So checking the build
(problem) and/or offering to sponsor the upload would have shown your
*serious" interest in this package. You did neither of both!

> and accuses me to not have uploaded your work?

You said: "that it hurts you so much". So again: Why then you didn't
make or upload an NMU (this is the thing I already suggested to you
"more than 4 months ago")? Why do you insist in hijacking a package,
where the much easier and common solution to fix long outstanding bugs
is to prepare/upload an NMU? This would have even shown, that you care
about the package. Instead you didn't care about it nor touch it nor did
you show any other serious sign, that you will really care about this
package in the future. Instead you insist in hijacking. Do you know what
a reaction this would provoce on d-devel or d-mentors for a
newbie-packager? Everybody would say: First show that you can maintain
this package, then ask for taking it over.

> > JFTR: Sending a fup to a 4 months old discussion without CCing the
> > person you cite and you obviously want to address.
>
> I have seen no need to CC people who are subscribed to the list and you
> obviosely have read the mail.

This statement is so silly and much below your level. You should really
re-think your behaviour. I saw this, because on the high activity to
annect some more packages (I've chosen the word to my impressions).

PS: How does incorporating packages into debian-science increase the
necessary manpower to maintain them? As far as I see, you and
debian-science have enough open bugs and lack behind the latest upstream
release in a lot of packages? I would really be interested in the
answer.

Daniel