Re: Paraview status

Andreas

pkg-scicomp is active. I uploaded gmsh and some other packages recently. It is just that my agenda is extra full.
Others from pkg-scicomp have been working too.

Sylvestre and I have been discussing the merging of pkg-scicomp in Debian science.˙
I think that the way to go. I certainly don't have the time to do myself but I can give my support for a few things.
I claim that we have done a great job at packaging and disseminating scientific computing software. Some of them are major software in my area of expertise.
 I recognize however that we need one big umbrella for this to work in the long run and help for the entire  Debian/Science community

Now if there is a takeover of our packages by Debian-science, I would appreciate that is done gently and keep people
from pkg-scicomp in the loop. There are packages that are very important for my and my work (paraview, gmsh, trilinos, ....)

regarding paraview I have done the 3.6.1 package for some time now with a split of the package. I had issues with the
python interface and hdf5. I should have perhaps updated 3.4 first.

Best regards
C.

On Fri, Oct 9, 2009 at 2:01 PM, Andreas Tille <andreas@an3as.eu> wrote:
On Fri, Oct 09, 2009 at 01:47:03PM +0200, Francesco P. Lovergine wrote:

> It is already so, isn't it?

No.

> Maintainer: Debian Scientific Computing Team <pkg-scicomp-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org>
> Uploaders: Christophe Prud'homme <prudhomm@debian.org>, Ondrej Certik <ondrej@certik.cz>

We have a historical split between

   Debian Scientific Computing Team <pkg-scicomp-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org>

(in CC - please speak up somebody if I'm wrong with my statement below)
and

   Debian Science Team <debian-science-maintainers@lists.alioth.debian.org>

which is IMHO a very bad and confusing (see above) thing.  My personal
opinion about this is that pkg-scicomp is not as active as it was before
and I would really love if we would be able to consolidate things
according to the Debian Science Policy[1].

[1] http://debian-science.alioth.debian.org/debian-science-policy.html