Re: GROMACS version

Nicholas Breen wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 11:07:55AM +0200, Manuel Prinz wrote:
>> However, Sylvestre already pointed you to backports.org. This is a way
>> to deal with that: Rebuilding packages from Squeeze on Lenny. But you're
>> lost again, as not all software is in Backports, and GROMACS is one of
>> the packages missing.
>
> And since IANADD, it's a bit of a hassle for me to put backports there.  I also
> maintain backports for my own use, but until now, no one else had ever
> expressed any interest in them; I'm happy to assist in making them more
> generally available and continuously maintained.

Whow! This is quite an effort. Many thanks!
On http://backports.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=contribute it is mentioned that
also DDs need to request for their key to be accepted for backports.org.  For
non-DDs, the procedure seems to be that you place your package somewhere and
then someone of the backports-team fetches it. This should then be less work
for you than it is for regular DDs, right? :)

@Alex, should you read this, this thread on debian-science is about helping the
easily outdated scientific applications to enter backports.org. There was a
request for gromacs in backports.org, which Nicholas, its non-DD Debian
maintainer, would be prepared to maintain. Would you accept the Debian
Maintainers of a package to upload the same package also to backports.org, even
if they are not yet DDs ? This would make some sense to me and it would help
Debian at large, I think.

Many thanks and regards

Steffen