Re: tasks overview wishlist: Canonical citing reference

Hi Morten,

On 4 November 2009 at 16:18, Morten Kjeldgaard wrote:
| Charles Plessy wrote:
|
| > In the discussion that followed, we talked about where to store this
| > information, and in which format, since adding more content to the
| > debian/control file is not an easy thing (it ‘costs’ a lot because it goes to
| > pivotal files like the Packages.gz files on our mirrors). A four line summary
| > is available here: http://wiki.debian.org/DebianScience/References
|
| I can't remember seeing this discussion, but in some of my packages, I've
| put a file debian/citation.bib, which is installed in the
| /usr/share/doc/<package>/ directory.

Nice idea.

| This enables the user to easily import the citation into a bibliographic
| database, and the .bib format is a de-facto standard. Of course the various
| Debian tools can parse the file too.
|
| This approach is of course not the only one, but it has the merit of being
| simple.

As one possibility for going one step further, consider what R supports (but
not requires).  If any of the add-on package CRAN has a CITIATION file, then
the citation() function can be used to pretty-print the content, incl a
Bibtex snippet, by giving the R package name as argument:

edd@ron:~/src/debian/CRAN> r -e'print(citation(package="zoo"))'

To cite zoo in publications use:

  Achim Zeileis and Gabor Grothendieck (2005). zoo: S3 Infrastructure for Regular and Irregular Time Series. Journal of Statistical Software,
  14(6), 1-27. URL http://www.jstatsoft.org/v14/i06/

A BibTeX entry for LaTeX users is

  @Article{,
    title = {zoo: S3 Infrastructure for Regular and Irregular Time Series},
    author = {Achim Zeileis and Gabor Grothendieck},
    journal = {Journal of Statistical Software},
    year = {2005},
    volume = {14},
    number = {6},
    pages = {1--27},
    url = {http://www.jstatsoft.org/v14/i06/},
  }

edd@ron:~/src/debian/CRAN>

We could easily cook-up something similar with a structure input file and a
simple display wrapper that could go into a debian-science utils package.

Cheers, Dirk