Re: tasks overview wishlist: Canonical citing reference

Charles Plessy wrote:

> In the discussion that followed, we talked about where to store this
> information, and in which format, since adding more content to the
> debian/control file is not an easy thing (it ‘costs’ a lot because it goes to
> pivotal files like the Packages.gz files on our mirrors). A four line summary
> is available here: http://wiki.debian.org/DebianScience/References

I can't remember seeing this discussion, but in some of my packages, I've
put a file debian/citation.bib, which is installed in the
/usr/share/doc/<package>/ directory.

This enables the user to easily import the citation into a bibliographic
database, and the .bib format is a de-facto standard. Of course the various
Debian tools can parse the file too.

This approach is of course not the only one, but it has the merit of being
simple.

Cheers,
Morten

--
Morten Kjeldgaard, asc. professor, MSc, PhD
BiRC - Bioinformatics Research Center, Aarhus University