Re: GROMACS version

Hi Francesco!

Am Freitag, den 25.09.2009, 09:04 +0200 schrieb Francesco Pietra:
> Gromacs is available on lenny as version 3.3., while on squeeze
> version 4.0 is provided. Assuming that version 4.0 will never be
> provided for stable Debian:

This assumption is correct, unfortunately...

> I do not know which problems are faced by maintainers to provide
> version 4.0 for lenny. If no problem exists (as obviously it is the
> case), I am against this policy by Debian.

It's Debian's policy the stable releases do not contain newer software.
This is not going to change anytime soon. When Lenny was frozen before
it's release, GROMACS 3.3.3 was the most current version. When newer
versions are released after the freeze, they have no change of getting
into stable ever.

However, Sylvestre already pointed you to backports.org. This is a way
to deal with that: Rebuilding packages from Squeeze on Lenny. But you're
lost again, as not all software is in Backports, and GROMACS is one of
the packages missing.

> What can I do with gromacs version 4.0 on my desktop which runs on
> squeeze i386? while I would be happy to save time in compiling version
> 4.o for the parallel machine, running on amd64. In other words,
> computational software such as gromacs makes sense only on parallel
> machines, and these are run on stable debian.

Correct. I do backport GROMACS for Lenny for my personal use. I can make
my backported GROMACS packages accessible.

I also vaguely remember there has been a discussion about some "Debian
Science Backports" before. This would be a cool thing to have, maybe we
should pick up that discussion again. Though I fear we might lack the
manpower to do that currently. Can anyone catch me up on this?

> Who is running a number-crunching machine on squeeze?

Well, I do on some. ;)

Best regards
Manuel